Wednesday, October 10, 2012

YOU SAY TOMATO

This is just a sneak preview,  I will post a proper introduction after the weekend.

I have begun work on Zach's Halloween Challenge, and in the same spirit as last year will record my progress as a series of blog posts over the next 2 weeks or so.  Not at all sure where my explorations will lead, but my chosen starting point is to create a whole range of vegetables using a variety of modelling approaches.  They will all be parametric, scalable, capable of creating types with different proportions, angles of twist etc.



This preview uses a technique based on open profiles in the vertical plane.  These are made using "spline by point" and are each housed within a rectangular framework.  Scaling this rectangle will scale the whole profile.  I got the idea from Paul Aubin's video (HERE) and he traces it back to Zach, so I'm just completing the circle.  Paul is using a very scary 3 dimensional rig (eek!).  I am sticking to rather simpler 2d rectangles at present, but same principle.



I have 10 of these rigs in a radial array.  By Selecting 3 splines at a time I can make 5 surfaces that represent the lobes of a pumpkin, capsicum, tomato ... whatever.  Each spline is defined by 5 points.  ( I wanted to use 7, but "Create Form" rejected this, not sure why) 


You can play around with these points to your hearts content, which permits a much more irregular shape than my previous method.


The whole thing scales up and down just be typing in a new height value.  So I have an approach now that combines the freedom of push-pull shape modelling (using 50 separate points in 3 dimensions) with the precision of scaleability.



Stay tuned.

5 comments:

  1. Andy,

    To quote a fictional hero, "Fascinating."
    Your materials are as impressive as the geometry.

    You continue to be an inspiration for creativity, experimentation and for sharing your process. Thanks for being you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder if I could simplify mine to a series of 2D rigs like you have done... Hmmm...

    Impressive stuff. You gonna show us how you did the stems? Very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Paul

    The stems are actually the same family as the yellow pumpkins in the pictures. I just displaced one of the profiles to try to introduce some irregularity. You hardly notice when the profiles are fat, but when they are skinny it creates a definite kink. But yes I will be posting a more detailed account of how I set up that family.

    Actually I did also start on a corinthian capital, and got quite a long way using the 2d rigs, but I have put it aside for a couple of weeks while I do my pumpkin thing. It will be interesting to compare notes later.

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am definitely interested in comparing notes later. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have a very creative mind and idea. So impressive and very interesting. I'm going to start it on my own soon.

    ReplyDelete

I've been getting a lot of spam so had to tighten up comments permissions. Sorry for any inconvenience. I do like to hear from real people